Thursday, October 23, 2008

Worry, optimism, awareness

This morning, as I was driving to work, I went on a one way street. It is one way only for a couple of blocks and after that it becomes two way. I had to turn left, so I kept left on the one way street. A few blocks away, on the two-way street, a car was coming toward me. Sometimes people don't realize that it's a one way street and they might come the other way anyway.

So what do you do in this situation?
  • The worrier: he's going to come this way... what am I going to do? Should I just keep right just in case?
  • The optimist: he will see the one-way sign and will turn without interfering with me at all
  • The person that is aware and lives in the moment notices that there is a car on the opposite lane. When she gets there she can see what's going on and responds calmly to whatever happens: salute, smile, nod, gently point out that this is a one way street, break, accelerate or just keep driving. No unnecessary emotion.

No comments: